Why Family-Teen Mediation?
Family-Teen Mediation helps your family to:
- Improve family communication
- Increase mutual understanding
- Improve self-management in conflicts
- Improve family problem-solving skills to reach effective agreements
- Increase ability to reach effective agreements
- Improve skills useful in parenting teens
- IncreaseIncrease mutual trust and respect
- Increase awareness of / accessing appropriate community resources
What is mediation?
- A Mediator, much like a coach, assists families in working together better as a team
- Everyone has an opportunity to be heard
- Mediation is confidential
- Without taking sides, the Mediator will assist you to settle your differences in a positive way
- Your family will learn new ways to resolve future difficulties
- Mediation is not Counselling; it focuses on the Now and Future
How long does it take?
- Families will be assigned to a Mediator or placed on the waitlist if their caseloads are full.
- Once mediation starts, each session can range between one to two hours.
- Services are available for up to 6 months but are often shorter.
- Once services end, the family can access up to 5 booster hours within 6 months of ending services, without having to re-refer.
What happens in mediation?
- After meeting together for introductions, learning a bit about mediation, and signing consent forms, the Mediator will meet privately with each family member.
- These meetings are called Pre-Mediation and it provides time for the Mediator to learn each person's point of view and what they would like to see different in their family.
- Once Pre-Mediation is complete the Mediation sessions begin, where the family makes a list of things, they would like to see different and then work on resolving them one by one.
Family - Teen Mediation Services is available to parents, or caregivers, of teens between 12 - 18 years of age, for up to 6 months.
Download/Print Family-Teen Mediation Referral Form
Contact: 250-562-6639 | ext. 132